Friday, January 11, 2013

Stylist Pet Peeve

Welcome to my first edition of Stylist Pet Peeve! Where I share with you some of utmost pet peeves with clients as a hairstylist. Maybe you can learn from this post and treat your hairstylist better, or maybe you are a hairstylist and you'll nod your head in agreement. Either way, let's get this started!

I have not been in the hair field for very long, yet, but I have been in retail for a good six years and deal with the same attitude no matter if I'm selling clothes or doing your hair. Prices. Price complaining to be exact. I cannot even begin to count how many times I've heard, "But I can go somewhere else and get it so much cheaper!"

That's right.

I can't stand when a customer comes in to the salon and asks about a haircut. I tell them the starting price and they frown, but get the hair cut anyways. Then when they come to check out, it's almost like they forgot to be disappointed. So when I tell them the total, they complain and mutter how they've never paid that much for a haircut before. How ridiculous. Over priced!

Or the other scenario!
"I could go to Supercuts and get it cheaper."

BY ALL MEANS! PLEASE. Go to Supercuts and get a cheaper cut. But don't come crying to us when you get what you paid for. True, there are some very talented stylists in Supercuts. I know a few and love them. But let's face facts, massive companies that train their employees to do all the same cuts and same styles as each other do not exactly have a good track history of satisfied customers. So that's why you come to a salon. You come to a salon to feel reassured that your stylist will take the time on your hair like it was their own. You come to a salon to feel pampered and special. Not just another head when it's your turn in line for a generic hair cut. At salon you get a nice personal level of communication. And it's often less crowded. But nothing makes me want to satisfy you when you complain you could get it cheaper at Supercuts! When you come to me, asking for your own unique hairstyle, I'm going to do my best AND BETTER to give it to you. Because in the salons that 'charge too much' every haircut, color, or style we give you is a work of art. And not a single one after is like it. Each one is unique with our signature touch.

By all means, go to Supercuts and get a cheap hair cut. And for your sake, I hope you have one of those stylists there that actually care how you look when you leave. But don't come back crying to me if you don't. Or better yet, DO! And then think about how you just paid for two haircuts rather pay one price for the look you want.

You get what you pay for sometimes. So be wary.

Solution; why not ask the stylist to see a few photographs of their hair cutting style before you complain a 30 dollar haircut is too much? You might understand why we charge a tiny bit more.

No comments: